In the November digital issue of Smithsonian:
- The Phantom Menace: Was a mole behind the still-unexplained betrayals the CIA suffered during one of its most catastrophic years? And is he (or she) still out there?
- The Devil's Tongue: The true motives of the star witness at the center of the Salem Witch Trials in 1692 remain one of America's greatest secrets
- The Rescue Mission: The nation's largest probe into the looting of Native American heritage netted an astonishing collection. Here's an exclusive first look
- The Horse Thief: George Armstrong Custer's heist of a highly prized stallion – revealed here for the first time after 150 years – sheds new light on the "Boy General"
- Skyfall: When U-2 pilot Gary Powers was shot down, cold war tensions reached new heights
- Slavery's Trail of Tears: Retracing America's forgotten migration – the journeys of a million African-Americans from the tobacco South to the cotton South